Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Moving Scene in E21 by guadi

by guadi

This scene is so moving!!! 

Eun-soo: *chopping herbs mindlessly while mourning the death of Dr. Jang* Just coming? The smell inside the room is a bit strong, right? They said I couldn't go to the Royal Medical Office, so I'm going to do some work here. I'm sorry. 
Daejang: *Walks in slowly and look at Eun-soo with sad puppy eyes, he sees her dirty hands and walks to get a cloth*
Eun-soo: You know...Dr. Jang 
Daejang: I heard
Eun-soo: But he was my teacher. He was my friend who would hear me out *as CY is cleaning her hands* But I think it's my fault no matter how I think about it. *ES gets up to show CY the antidote that Dr. Jang saved* Look at this antidote. My antidote. Dr. Jang, as he was dying he was protecting this. This one started to show reaction. It needs to be watched more, and though we don't know if it's a success, but it was reacting. *CY takes the antidote away and starts undress ES* He was protecting this and died, I think. This, he was hiding it tightly, I was told. Hence, Dr. Jang, to those punks who were looking for me...so it was because of me. If only I wasn't here. So...It's me who killed him. I killed that person.
*Daejang takes Eun-soo to bed and place a chair opposite the bed and starts telling her his story of how he becomes a warrior*
Daejang: At age 16, I killed a person for the first time. He was a Japanese raider and those all around complimented me. That I was stouthearted and skilled, killed in one stroke. So at first I was thrilled. I was proud of myself. But...that night, I didn't get any sleep. Because I was shaking with chills, it was so cold. But it was not a cold season. It was in June, on the 21st day (a.k.a. the first day of summer). That day was.
Eun-soo: You remember the date?
Daejang: The date, I remember. As well as the face of the one I killed. 
Eun-soo: The second one as well?
Daejang: No. Starting from the second, I only remember it like this. One more. And then another. Another. So I know this. "I killed him"...those words...They are not to be said so lightly. *He looks at her and says* Did you hear that? 
Eun-soo: I heard
Daejang: Then go to sleep now. 

My interpretation: I like this scene a lot because it shows the symbol of life. Dr. Jang died to save that small token of antidote in hopes that it can save Eun-soo. Then we have a juxtaposition of Eun-soo feeling guilty for "killing" Dr. Jang. In reality it's not. It's a sacrifice that Dr. Jang is willing to make. Then the best part, we get see the inner doubts of Choi Young. Taking lives was not easy on him at first, but he got so used to it. Until he meets Eun-soo the healer, then his inner beliefs start to change again. Now he has doubts on whether being a warrior and taking innocent lives mindlessly is all that worth it. The words "I killed him" is not to be used lightly indeed! 
 
image

image

image

image

image

image

No comments:

Post a Comment